We live, work, and practice within the structure of monastic life. There are scheduled times throughout the day for meals, working meditation, meditation, and personal time. It is a centuries-old monastic rhythm marked by the big bell outside the garden gate. The clanging bell is a beautiful marker bringing us to thisherenow. We stop what we are engaged in and move to the next activity.
The 12:15 bell is rung every day to let us know the morning work period has ended and in 15 minutes the lunch meal will be served. We return tools, clean up, and make our way to the dining hall. We can always be assured of a delicious organic meal awaiting us.
Yesterday the lunch table was spread with pizza! We have enjoyed pizza in many different forms over the years. It keeps evolving as tastes and nutritional needs change. We practice being present to what is needed and the changes called for. Today it was a pizza with no grains. It was a pizza with a crust made from cauliflower! I have to admit I found it a little hard to imagine pizza sitting on top of cauliflower. Yet, it was delicious and we would love to share it with you. As in everything, actual experience tops imagining!
Cauliflower Pizza Crust
Serving size: 8 slices
- 1 large head cauliflower
- 1 egg
- 1 cup shredded cheese
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 2 teaspoons basil
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees and line a pizza pan or cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Grate or rice the head of cauliflower with a hand grater or in a food processor. Place in a large microwave safe bowl.
- Microwave the riced cauliflower for 5 minutes and let cool for at least 5 minutes.
- Once cooled, wrap the cauliflower in a thin kitchen towel and wring the moisture from the cauliflower.
- Mix the egg, ½ cup cheese, 2 teaspoons of oregano, and 2 teaspoons of dried basil with the riced cauliflower.
- Pat the cauliflower mix onto the lined pizza pan and place in the oven for 25 minutes.
- Remove the crust from the oven and top with your favorite toppings. Place it back in the oven and bake for 5-8 minutes or until the toppings have melted.
Yesterday our favorite toppings were mozzarella cheese, fresh spinach, black olives, and parmesan cheese. We did not add a sauce.