The Heart loves the whole process of writing the Kitchen Corner article, ego not so much. The fun part is not having any idea what to write about, just showing up and seeing what drops in. It is like receiving a surprise gift every time!
Today it is Mediterranean Vegetable and Chickpea Stew. Ever since Ashwini sent this recipe along to us it has been a favorite. It is a great cold weather dish, is vegetable rich, and comes together very easily. The protein in the dish can be increased with some grated cheese on the side. We don’t usually have access to eggplant so we either skip the eggplant or substitute Portabella mushrooms. The bed of spinach is optional. It’s a flexible, yummy dish.
Mediterranean Vegetable and Chickpea Stew
--One Arab Vegan by Nada E.
- 1 eggplant or portabella mushroom, cubed
- 1 yellow and 1 green bell pepper, roughly chopped
- 1 medium red onion, roughly chopped
- 1½ cups butternut squash (or ½ a medium butternut squash), cubed
- 1 large or 2 small zucchinis, sliced
- 3 cloves of garlic, smashed with skins on
- 1 Tbsp oregano or dried mixed herbs (I used a combination of oregano, thyme, parsley and rosemary)
- 2 Tbsp fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1-2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 can of organic tomato sauce or chopped tomatoes
- 1 can of chickpeas (or 1½ cups boiled chickpeas)
- Sea salt and black pepper to taste
- ½ cup vegetable stock (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees. Toss your prepped veggies in a large roasting pan with the coconut oil, some sea salt, black pepper and dried herbs of choice. Roast for 20-25 minutes until vegetables are soft and fragrant. Keep in mind you don't want them over-cooked as they will get a chance to cook some more on the stove.
- Once done, add the tomato sauce, roasted vegetables and chickpeas to a large pot over medium heat. Season as needed with additional herbs and simmer for about 5 minutes. If you prefer a more liquid-y stew, add in the vegetable stock and stir through.
- Serve on a bed of baby spinach with some brown rice or quinoa (or both!) on the side.